Pens and Quills Writing Society

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DeathStrike's Forest

Maddog
    Maddog

Number of posts : 17
    Humor : Teens are too moody so I decided to skip those years. I'm not 13 I'm really 20!
    Registration date : 2011-02-05

DeathStrike's Forest Empty DeathStrike's Forest

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:13 pm

Hi, this is a story I've been working on since last year, its finished, and I wanna know what you guys think of it! Sorry that its really long! I was planning on making this a Trilogy called "The Shadow woods Trilogy" and maybe someday getting it published. Please give me feedback, I'm looking forward to hearing what you think, and editting the story to make it better!

Prologue
    SunBeam darted through Shadow Woods with fear. She leaped over logs and streams, trying to escape the dreaded loner known as "DeathStrike."

DeathStrike was only a few paces behind and getting closer.

Noticing this, SunBeam hastened her speed, but her paw slipped off a log and she fell on the pine-needle covered ground.

When she stood up it was to late, DeathStrike was already upon her...

Last edited by Maddog on February 6th 2011, 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Maddog
    Maddog

Humor : Teens are too moody so I decided to skip those years. I'm not 13 I'm really 20!

DeathStrike's Forest Empty Re: DeathStrike's Forest

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:16 pm

Chapter 1
    As part of the search party, I was required to know Shadow Woods like the point of my claw. I've been here many times before, but I wasn’t admiring the trees this trip, I was searching for SunBeam, the second in command in my pack.

I sniffed the ground and howled into the warm air, "I've picked up her sent!"

All of the search party dashed towards me. I followed the scent as they followed me.

Soon, I saw a yellow glint as the sun shone through the leaves.

"I found her!" I exclaimed and approached the fallen wolf.

A tear dripped off my snout and onto the body of my sister. Her bright golden fur was blood stained. Her once fast and energetic legs were now stiff. I whimpered, knowing she was gone.

The search party and i carried the dead wolf into the pack's camp. As we walked to the middle, all the wolves we passed bowed to SunBeam’s body and whimpered silently.

All of my siblings gathered around to mourn the loss of our sister. Mother and father did the same. The pack's alpha, PineClaw, walked over and put her nose against her deputy's forehead.

She then sat up straight and shouted "Pack meeting!"

Everyone circled around SunBeam, my family, and PineClaw.

"7 deaths have accured in this season of Sun!" PineClaw announced. "All courtesy of DeathStrike. After StormPaw, the 3rd death, we sent out a hunting group to kill DeathStrike, but these three wolves never returned... alive. Now he has taken the life of my most trusted companion! We shall howl tonight!"

PineClaw broke out in a low, depressing howl. The rest of the pack joined in. The chorus of howls was called “The Mourning.”

Maddog
    Maddog

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:17 pm

Chapter 2
    After burring SunBeam, PineClaw called the pack for a meeting.

"As you all know, our beloved SunBeam has been buried, and it is time to decide who my new deputy shall be!" PineClaw said, "I've decided that SnowFur shall be the new deputy!"

The pure white wolf trotted towards PineClaw joyfully. His sapphire blue eyes twinkled with excitement.

"Thank you, PineClaw." SnowFur bowed, "I know that I cannot replace SunBeam, but I will try to be just as good as her!"

After the meeting, I paced over to my friend's den, "Hey SkunkTail!"

"Hi StarScent!" SkunkTail greeted me. His jet black tail wagging.

"Can you believe they chose SnowFur to be second in command?" I asked

"No!" SkunkTail replied, "He's a lousy show off!"

"I know!" I got up and started walking into the woods with SkunkTail beside me.

"He is sooooo slow! If he were chased by DeathStrike, he would have no chance!" My friend pointed out.

We kept on going like that for awhile until I saw a dead oak. I gasped, knowing we had walked to far.

SkunkTail's tail stopped wagging when he realized where we were. DeathStrike's territory.

I trotted up to the tree and saw DeathStrike's Symbol that he made with his claw. He would put his symbol on all of his victim’s forehead's, between their ears. This symbol looked like a bear claw with a snake coiled around it.

My silver fur stood straight on the back of my neck. I quietly stepped behind the tree, SkunkTail did the same.

Snap!

I looked down and saw SkunkTail's paw an a broken stick. I felt myself tense.

"Maybe he’s not home"I thought.

I thought wrong, soon I heard a growl. Out of nowhere, DeathStrike jumped onto SkunkTail. My friend yelped.

I threw myself against the loner, taking him by surprise, and knocking him to the ground.

SkunkTail leaped up and dashed towards the camp, I followed. As we ran I could hear the dreaded wolf chasing us.

We burst through the brush surrounding camp and DeathStrike stopped...

I looked back to see if he was still chasing us, and I ran into PineClaw.

"Why the rush?" She asked in a kind-natured tone.

"DeathStrike was chasing us!" I panted.

PineClaw looked behind me and tilted her head "I don't see him."

I sniffed the air, "I smell him."

She smelt the air also, "I don't. Everybody knows that your sense of smell is... erm... more advanced than everyone else's, StarScent, but I'll have SnowFur check it out."

I lowered my head, being different doesn't feel well.

PineClaw continued, "I think you should forget about this and go hunt."

"Come on SkunkTail, lets go." I trudged back into the woods, keeping my ears perked and my nose open, being cautious, making sure I don't run into DeathStrike again.

I sensed SkunkTail tense. I sniffed and smelt the strong scent of a deer. A buck.

My tail started to wag when I realized that it was injured.

I dashed in its direction and when I saw it, I ducked behind a bush. Peeking through the leaves, I saw a twisted hoof. I grinned and counted down, "5... 4... 3... 2... GO!"

SkunkTail and I dashed towards the injured buck, scaring the whole group of deer. The hurt one was falling behind. Taking advantage of this, I dived at its hind legs, making it fall to the ground. SkunkTail snapped his jaws around its neck. He tightened his grip as the buck made its final effort to squirm free.

When the deer went limp, my friend let go and said, "Well, don't just stand there. Help me carry this to the clearing."

I nodded and picked up the bum of my pray, SkunkTail grabbed the front half, and we carried the body into pack territory.

Placing the deer on top of PineClaw's den, (her den is under a tree) I greeted and congratulated SnowFur.

All the starving wolves sat at the mouth of their dens, waiting for PineClaw to choose her meal. I joined them, and watched as the bark colored leader picked out a rabbit. She dropped the prey on the ground in front of her den, laid down beside it, and simply said, "You may eat."

Every wolf charged for the pile of kill. I pushed through the crowd, towards my deer and saw that it was mostly gone, the only part left was the injured leg. I knew that it was probably rotten, so I tore the leg off a pork, and sighed while trotting towards my den, under a bolder.

As I attempted to strip a chunk of fat off the pork, my sister, who also shares the den with me, CottonPaw, laid down beside me with two mice in her mouth, probably caught by pups.

"Your not hungry?" I asked her.

She responded by dropping the mice and saying, "Not really, sis, I had a whole pork for lunch, someone got it from the farm!"

"How did you manage to get that?"

"I saw it in the pile, so I just grabbed it!

"Cool! I thought that someone would dive right for it! All well..."

CottonPaw chuckled and started to eat her mice. We ate our food in silence and went to sleep.

Last edited by Maddog on February 6th 2011, 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Maddog
    Maddog

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:18 pm

Chapter 3
    I woke up to the familiar smell of CottonPaw, but I smelt someone else. PineClaw. I took another whiff. And SnowFur!

I followed the scent until I heard my sibling's voice, "--impossible! My sister would never!"

"I'm afraid StarScent's scent was there, along with SkunkTail and DeathStrike." sounded SnowFur's muffled voice.

"He's right CottonPaw," came PineClaw's low growl. the disappointment was unmistakable, "I came to check when SnowFur told me, and sure enough, there were the scents."

CottonPaw gasped and whispered something I couldn't understand.

"So, we're all on the same paw?" SnowFur said, "StarScent and SkunkTail are traitors?"

I could only assume that PineClaw nodded her head, when I heard my sister burst into a loud whimper.

"Shh, it's all right, CottonPaw," the leader hushed, "You mustn’t say anything of this conversation," The whimpers quieted, "Lets go back to living 'normal' lives, but keep an eye on those two. Now Go!"

As I heard the wolves walking this way, I ran, all the way to my den. I pretended to be asleep as CottonPaw padded up, and without a word, she laid down on the other side of the den.

Pretending to wake up, I yawned, "Good morning!"

The white wolf had her chin on her paws when she glumly shook her head.

"What happened?" I asked, as if I didn't already know.

"Nothing," she sighed.

"Well I'm gonna go hunt."

"Okay..."

I trotted towards SkunkTail's den. I found him sleeping, under the shrubbery surrounding the hole that is his home.

"Wake up!" I shouted as I nudged him with my snout, "Wake up!"

SkunkTail lifted his head wearily and opened his powerful jaws in a yawn, "Hey StarScent."

"Let's hunt!" I said hastily and sprinted into the forest.

"Wait... What?"

"Come on!" I called back

The black-furred wolf struggled to get up and then ran after me. I stopped near a small stream and lapped some water up.

"What was that about?" SkunkTail exclaimed while stopping a few feet behind me.

I lifted my wet chin and looked at him, "They don't trust us..."

"Who?" My friend asked, suddenly afraid.

"PineClaw, SnowFur, and CottonPaw!" I informed him, still in shock myself, "They think we're traitors!”

"Why?" SkunkTail tilted his head, "And how do you know?"

"I woke up..." I told him what had happened, "…I can only guess that they smelt where DeathStrike attacked us."

My friend sat there, staring down at his paws, obviously, deep in thought.

"So, what do you think?" I asked.

"I think we should investigate where DeathStrike ambushed us." he replied.

"Lets go..." I paces in the direction of the dead oak, with SkunkTail next to me.

The thought of returning made me feel uneasy. When I saw the tree, I stopped and took a big whiff of the air. Right away, I smelt PineClaw and SnowFur from earlier this morning, but under all of that I smelt a strange scent, of wolves I never met. The scent wasn't nearly as fresh as the pack alpha and deputy's, but a little old, like yesterday old!

"I can't believe that I didn't smell the m before..." I gasped.

"Smelled who?" SkunkTail's eyes widened.

"I don't know, strange wolves, I've never smelt them before."

"That’s so strange!" He exclaimed.

"Shh!" I glared at him, "There is a fresher smell, come, lets hide!"

We ran into a large, leafy, bush, and waited for a while until finally a golden furred wolf appeared, followed by many other wolves, including DeathStrike.

The many wolves circled DeathStrike, as he started to talk, "As you all know," DeathStrike growled, "our plan has come to start."

A wolf with dull gray fur raised his tail and asked "What was the plan again?"

DeathStrike's eyes glared with both rage and disbelief, "You don't remember the plan?" the loner started to slowly and menacingly, pad up to the gray wolf.

The smell of fear radiated strongly from the unknown canine.

"Well, I'll tell you the plan," DeathStrike continued, "We kill as many pack-bound wolves as we can, causing confusion throughout the forest, and when the time is right, we strike!" even as he said "strike" he was face to face with the frightened wolf, that’s when he pounced, clawing the creature’s left flank, making him collapse and yowl with pain.

“Quiet you whimpering little pup.” the loner spat, and cut the gray wolf’s throat with his claw, ending his life.

SkunkTail and I shivered. I scented a large amount of fear from both my friend and the crowd of loners.

DeathStrike’s eyes glittered with humor, knowing he was feared.

“As I was saying,” the dark-furred wolf continued, “When we strike, we will overcome the packs and us loners will rule!”

A cheer broke out from the group.

“Now time for everyone to tell how many they have killed,”

Most of them killed 3 or 4, but when DeathStrike told the group how many he had killed, he said “15.”

“Dismissed!” He shouted and when all the loners left, he looked in our direction, and smiled, “it’s about to be 17..”

With that said, SkunkTail and I ran, as fast as our legs could carry us.

The murderer wasn’t far behind, and I had the strangest sense ‘de ja vu’, as my friend and I burst through the brush surrounding camp and ran into PineClaw.

Like last time, she asked, “Why the rush?”

Unlike last time, I answered, “Just a friendly game of chase!” and ran behind my den.

SkunkTail soon followed and said to me, “15? 15! He killed 15 innocent wolves, then that poor forgetful one!”

I know, he’s a murderer,” I gasped, “but we know their plan now.”

Maddog
    Maddog

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:19 pm

Chapter 4
    “Who’s plan?” we turned and saw SnowFur, his face grim.

“No ones,” I said quickly, “I said, ‘Now we know they can.’”

“Can What?” SnowFur twitched his tail.

“Kill!” SkunkTail burst out.

“Who can kill?” the deputy stared at us intensely.

“You ask a lot of questions, what is this, a pop quiz?” I fake giggled and turned around, preparing to walk away.

“Not so fast, come with me.”

We had no choice but to follow SnowFur to PineClaw’s den. As we entered, the leader looked up from where she laying on dirt floor.

“Why have you brought these two to me?” the brown-furred wolf asked.

“These traitors were talking about killing!” SnowFur literally spat out the word ‘traitor.’

PineClaw gasped, “Is this true?”

I shook my head, “N-No! Well, yes, but n-not us! We weren’t the ones we were talking about!”

“Then who were you talking about?” she wondered, a glimmer of hope in her eyes.

“DeathStrike!” SkunkTail answered before I could.

All hope in my leader’s eyes vanished, “We all know DeathStrike can kill, why would you need to talk about it?”

“No… DeathStrike, he gathered a group of loners… he has this-this plan to… overthrow the wolves!” I tried to explain.

SnowFur snickered, “I don’t believe her, besides, how would she know?”

“We were there!” snarled SkunkTail, “We’re witnesses! We were at the meeting!”

PineClaw sighed, “We’ll discuss it with the elders, but while we’re gone CottonPaw will stay with you. CottonPaw, come here!”

My sister came in, tears brimming her eyes.

“Stay here with them until we get back, please CottonPaw.” PineClaw slowly walked out to the elder’s den.

“H-hi sis…” I started to say, but CottonPaw just looked away.

“CottonPaw,” I pleaded, “W-we…”

“Traitors…” My sister snarled.

“Wh-What?” SkunkTail’s eyes widened.

“Your traitors!” The white wolf spat as she turned to face us.

“What? No!” I exclaimed with shock.

“How could you?” She growled, “How could you help the very wolf that murdered SunBeam? Your no better than DeathStrike! I wouldn’t doubt if you killed StormPaw or any other wolf that got murdered by DeathStrike! Your not my sister! I hate you!”

Tears started to drip out of my eyes, down my snout, and onto the ground, “CottonPaw, we aren’t traitors”

“I don’t want to hear it.” She muttered and sat down in the corner.

The next few minutes felt like an eternity, then finally PineClaw crawled into the den.

“The elders believe that you are to be banished from the pack.” She announced.

CottonPaw stormed out of the room, and the alpha murmured, “Your banishment will take place at sundown. Get ready for the ceremony, you’re dismissed.”

SkunkTail and I walked out of PineClaw’s den.

“We should go hunt our last prey.” SkunkTail said, not looking me in the eye.

I nodded and padded into the woods. I sniffed the ground in search of any unlucky rabbit or baby deer that is nearby.

I soon smelt a deer, but I didn’t go after it, it was probably to strong to take down myself.

When wolves go hunt their final pack prey, they have to take it down alone.

After an hour with no sign of food, I suggested that we hunt on the farm. SkunkTail agreed and we slowly and silently walked to the farm.

Maddog
    Maddog

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:20 pm

Chapter 5
    When we finally arrived, I walked directly to the chicken coop and started to scan over the birds for a good one. There was one nice large hen that stood out.

I stalked over to the fence surrounding the hens and leaped over. Scaring the chickens as I passed, I charged for the one I had picked out. When close enough, I pounced on it.

The bird started to peck me in the chest, legs, and paws. I then took it’s neck in my teeth, put my paw on it’s chest, and turned my head quickly, braking my prey’s neck with a satisfying snap. The body soon went limp and I carried it outside the fence.

I heard squeals, then silence, and soon SkunkTail came, dragging a plump pork.

“Come on, we should get back to pack territory,” SkunkTail mumbled and walked off.

We ambled back to the clearing without a word.

By the time we got back the sun was setting. My friend and I sat on top of PineClaw’s den, watching as the pack prepared for the banishment ceremony.
    Maddog
    Maddog

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:21 pm

Chapter 6
    PineClaw stood in front of us, waiting for the wolves to assemble.

When the pack was ready, PineClaw started to speak, “It has been many years since someone was banished from the pack, but tonight, these two young wolves, StarScent and SkunkTail, will leave pack territory. My deputy will tell the reasons of this misfortune.”

PineClaw sat as SnowFur stood and said, “I’m sure that many of you are wondering what these two did that was so wrong, they’re getting exiled from our pack. Well, it is my job to tell you! They made an alliance with DeathStrike!”

There were many gasps and murmurs that sounded like, “I always knew something was wrong with those two,” and “Figures, they’re always out ‘hunting.’”

SnowFur continued, “I found their scent with DeathStrike and a bunch of other loners. They also said that they were at the loners meeting.”

More gasps.

PineClaw stood and gave the signal to line up, “Friends and family last.”

In a banishment ceremony, wolves line up, and if they don’t think the exiled wolf should be banished, they take a bite of wolf’s final prey, If they do believe the wolf should be banished, they don’t eat and just walk by. Either way we’ll get banished.

My prey was untouched so far, and half the wolves had passed. Then came PineClaw.

She looked me in the eyes and whispered to me, “StarScent, I’d love for you to stay, but the facts are against you. We can’t take risks with the DeathStrike issue, and having you in the pack is a risk. I’m sorry.” She then walked away with no chicken at all.

SnowFur was next. He snarled at SkunkTail and I, then walked off.

Next up, my parents. Dad just paced by, but mom looked at me and shook her head, then ran off.

CottonPaw came after that. Her icy blue eyes were wet from tears, and her tail was low. She looked at me with an unreadable expression, then leaned down slowly, taking a bite of both SkunkTail’s pork and my hen, and padded away.

After that, all the wolves guided us to the stream.

SkunkTail and I hesitated to get in the water, not wanting to wash off our pack scent. After a few long seconds, SnowFur pushed us forward, making us stumble and fall into the flowing stream.

I rolled over in the water and stood up, SkunkTail did the same. SnowFur sniffed us and shook his head.

I waited as SkunkTail rolled from side to side in the creek. When he stood, SnowFur sniffed him and nodded. SkunkTail then swam the little way across the stream and sat down facing the pack on the opposite bank.

Then it was my turn to wash off the pack scent. When I was done, SnowFur approved, and I joined my friend on the opposite bank of the creek, facing the whole pack.

PineClaw growled, then all the wolves joined in. In the crowd of wolves, I saw CottonPaw, the only one to take a bite of my chicken, the one that called me a murderer, the one that said she hated me, the one that’s my sister, she wasn’t growling, but crying.

As the growls got louder and a few wolves started snapping, we knew it was time to go.

Maddog
    Maddog

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:22 pm

Chapter 7
    We silently walked through the forest, searching for shelter from the wind.

We eventually found an old fox burrow, but it would only fit one wolf, and it smelt horrible, but would provide excellent cover from the wind, and that’s all that mattered. I told SkunkTail he could have it, but he insisted that I should, so we debated about it for awhile, but SkunkTail won, and I got to sleep in the fox burrow.

As I laid there, I could here the howls of my former pack, the howl of exile, but as the night grew darker, the only sound I heard was of the whistling wind. Just as I was falling asleep, I heard a lone howl, it was low an depressing, The Howl of Mourning.

When I awoke, light was streaming through the den’s entrance. I had almost believed that the day before had been a dream, until I smelt the stench of fox and saw SkunkTail sleeping, curled up against a tree trunk, with his fur all scruffy.

I thought about waking him up, but decided against it, after all, he did sleep out side in the wind, while I was asleep in the fox burrow, so I went hunting without him.

My hunt was successful, I had caught a rabbit for both SkunkTail and I.

When I approached the old fox den, I saw my friend sniffing the ground frantically.

“What are you doing?” I asked him.

He looked up and heaved a sigh of relief, his relief soon turned to anger, and he yelled, “Where were you!?! I was so worried! I thought you were-”

“Calm down,” I told him, “I went hunting. I brought you a rabbit.” I nudged the rabbit with my paw.

“Why didn’t you wake me?” SkunkTail questioned me.

“You looked like you had a rough night, with the wind and all. I thought that I’d bring you breakfast.” I pushed the rabbit closer to him, “Here have the rabbit.”

He glared at me, but took the kill anyways.

“Your welcome!” I snapped as he walked to a tree trunk a little ways away.

Instead of answering, SkunkTail growled and sat down.

“Hey, I’m sorry,” I apologized, carrying my prey to the tree trunk.

“It’s okay, I’m still in shock after being ba-” SkunkTail started growling.

“What’s wro-” I started, but then caught an unknown scent.

I turned and snarled at the bushes.

“I’m a friend,” sounded a voice as a wolf’s head popped out of the leaves.

“I don’t recognize you,” SkunkTail growled, “Do you, StarScent?”

“No,” I responded.

“Are you one of DeathStrike’s murderers?” SkunkTail inquired.

“Don’t mention that rat-faced mutt!” The stranger snarled, fur bristling along his back.

“So your not allied with DeathStrike?” I asked, uncertain.

“No!” the wolf exclaimed, “He’s the reason I’m out here alone in the first place!”

“Did you get framed by DeathStrike, too?” I wondered.

“No,” he answered, “DeathStrike murdered the rest of my pack, I’m the only survivor.”

“That’s so sad…” I gasped, “Do you want to join us?”

“Sure,” he responded, “I’m FlamePelt.”

“I’m StarScent,” I introduced myself, “and this is SkunkTail.”

“How’d you know that we weren’t DeathStrike’s allies?” SkunkTail said.

“You don’t smell like him or his pack.” FlamePelt answered, “Also him and his pack’s camp is near the river.”

“You know where his camp is?” I said, shocked.

“Yeah,” He responded, “I also know his plan, and I want revenge.”

“Us to, DeathStrike murdered my sister.”

“Well, we can’t just go charging into his camp unprepared,” SkunkTail put in, “We need a plan, and look at you, FlamePelt, you look like you haven’t eaten in months! We’ll all need our strength if we’re gonna get any revenge.”

“You can have my rabbit.” I offered FlamePelt.

“I can catch my own,” he answered.

“I insist.”

“No.”

“You look like a twig! At least have half,” I pressed.

He sighed, “Fine.”

As we shared the rabbit, I started to feel self-conscious about how fast I was eating my prey. When I finished my share, I saw that FlamePelt was only half done with his.

I walked to the mouth of the fox den and started to lick the rabbit remains off my lips. As I did so, I noticed FlamePelt wasn’t terrible looking, but was quite decent.

He had handsome, well-groomed, red-brown fur, and piercing green eyes.

When I realized that I was starring, it was to late, because FlamePelt was starring back.

I looked away, glad that I had fur, because underneath it, I’m sure that I was bright red.

After SkunkTail and FlamePelt finished eating, we all gathered around the tree trunk to discuss a plan.

“First, we’ll need to know each other’s strengths and weaknesses,” FlamePelt started, “I’ve been told that I’m very strong and quick, but not so stealthy. How about you, SkunkTail?”

“I’m constantly… erm… informed that I’m a terrible fighter and that I’m as fast as a tiny turtle with a ten ton shell on it’s back. I’m probably as stealthy as a headless chicken, but for some strange reason, I’m a decent hunter.” SkunkTail informed us, pathetically, “Your turn, StarScent.”

“I’ve been told that I’m fast and stealthy, but not very strong, “I have an okay sense of smell…”

Okay!?!” SkunkTail burst out, “You have a gift! You have the best nose in the pack! That’s why you’re the head of all the search parties!”

“Was!” I shouted, “I was the head of the search parties! I was hated by all the other pups, because I was different! Only 3 pups liked me, those are my sisters, CottonPaw and SunBeam, then you! Now CottonPaw hates me and SunBeam’s dead! StormPaw hated me, so did your brother, EmberClaw!”

“Don’t mention that rat-faced traitor!” SkunkTail spat, making FlamePelt and I flinch, “That double-crossing mutt!”

“What happened between you two?” FlamePelt asked timidly.

“That grass-grazing, fur-matted, rabbit-eared wolf shamed our pack by publicly announcing that he was going to join DeathStrike!” SkunkTail snarled with rage, his ears folded in anger, and his eyes filled with bitterness, “I hate that…,” He stopped and collapsed, crying.

I sat next to him comfortingly and listened as he whimpered, “The pack thinks the same of us…”

I then reassured him by saying, “We’ll prove that we’re as loyal as the rest of them, we just have to kill DeathStrike.”

SkunkTail straightened up, “You’re right, we start training tomorrow.”

Maddog
    Maddog

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:23 pm

Chapter 8
    The next day, I woke up in the fox den, forced to sleep there because I’m a “lady.”

I walked out to find a dead duck on the tree stump, and FlamePelt waiting for me beside it.

The morning sun shone through the trees, making his fur look like it was on fire. I felt attracted to that flame.

I ran over from the fox den, and slowed to a walk when I realized I looked desperate. I then asked casually, “Where’s SkunkTail?”

“Out setting up an obstacle course.” FlamePelt answered, “Wanna share the duck?”

“Yeah!” I said a little to fast, I then sat down across from him and ate a bite of the prey, “Why is SkunkTail making an obstacle course?”

“For training! He spent half the night planning the day! He should be back soon.” The red-brown wolf informed me, and started to eat.

As I swallowed the last bite of duck, SkunkTail came out of the bushes shouting, “I finished! Come on, lets start training!”

FlamePelt and I followed SkunkTail deeper into the trees and saw a log.

“See that log?” SkunkTail stated, “That’s the starting point.” He walked past it and explained what we were supposed to do throughout it, “And we finish back at the log.”

“So what’s this supposed to help us with?” FlamePelt asked.

“Agility,” SkunkTail responded, walking behind the staring log and we followed,” We’ll start on ‘go.’ Ears open? Tails up? GO!”

We all jumped over the log and dashed through the trees. The first obstacle was a very low-hanging tree branch, I ducked, just barely avoiding a bonk on the head. I then leaped over a pile of rocks and U-turned around a bunch of thorn bushes. Running back towards the starting log, I jumped over a few other logs, swerved around several trees, and ended up back at the starting point.

FlamePelt was already there and SkunkTail arrived shortly after me. We were all panting, I was surprised at how out of shape we were.

After catching our breath, SkunkTail said, “Now we practice stealth. We’re going hunting!”

“When are we supposed to be back?” I asked.

“Be back by midday, ready?” SkunkTail responded.

Both FlamePelt and I nodded our heads.

“Go!”

We ran in different directions, FlamePelt went towards the river, SkunkTail towards the farm, and I went towards my former pack’s camp.

I stopped running and started to pad lightly through the undergrowth, keeping my nose sniffing constantly. I soon smelt a rabbit, the perfect prey to practice stealth with.

I tested the wind and was satisfied to find out that I was satisfied to find out that I was downwind from it. I stalked it for a short time, prepared to spring, and just as I was about to leap, a flash of white fur burst from the bushes, and with the rabbit, back into the trees.

“Hey!” I exclaimed, “That was my prey!”

I ran into the trees after whatever stole my rabbit, and ran straight into a mass of warm fur and comforting smells.

“CottonPaw?”

“StarScent! I missed you! I knew you were innocent, its just that I was in shock when they told me you were a traitor and-” My sister gushed.

“Its okay!” I said, giving her a lick on the ear for reassurance.

“No, its not! I shouldn’t have snapped at you. I’m sorry.” CottonPaw apologized.

“Its okay,” I repeated, “How are things at camp?”

“Not good. DeathStrike struck again, and this time it was a pup!” She informed me.

“That’s a new low!” I gasped, “Who’s pup?”

“SilverEar’s.”

“Her last one? Not little FrostPelt!” I whimpered, “Poor SilverEar…”

“Where’s SkunkTail?” She wondered, changing the subject.

“Still hunting, here, let me show you to our camp.” I offered.

“Sure.”

We padded quietly to my temporary camp. When we got there, CottonPaw dropped her rabbit… or my rabbit… on the tree stump and looked around curiously.

“Why did you choose this place? There’s no shelter and it reeks of fox!” CottonPaw said, wrinkling her nose.

“There’s an old fox burrow over there, that’s shelter.” I pointed out.

My sister walked over to the burrow and looked inside, “You and SkunkTail can both fit in here?”

“No, but this camp is only temporary, we’ll leave when we find a better one.” I responded.

“Oh, well… Did you even think about the cave near the pond?” She suggested, “The Season of Color is approaching and the walls should block the wind.”

My jaw dropped at how I hadn’t thought about that, “That’s a good idea!”

“I’ll help you guys move in if we leave soon. Now, come help me look for SkunkTail,” She said, “You search that way, and I’ll search over that way.”

She then ran into the trees without giving me any time to tell her where my friend really was.

Shaking my head at how silly she could be, I started to pad in the direction of the farm. When I was far enough from the fox burrow, I started to call for SkunkTail.

He soon came to me, his fur soaking wet.

“What happened?” I asked.

“Promise you wont laugh?” He said.

“Yes,” I promised.

“I fell in the stream while trying to fish.” He admitted, while looking away.

I smiled, squinted my eyes, and bit my tongue. I then coughed, attempting to cover my giggle.

“At least you didn’t laugh.” My friend commented, shaking himself dry, starting from his head and ending with a flick of his black tail.

“Come on back to camp, CottonPaw is there.”

“What?” SkunkTail’s face was the picture of confusion as he tipped his head to one side.

“Oh just come on!” I rushed him, heading toward the abandoned fox den.

We had hardly stepped into the camp when CottonPaw came charging in screaming, “Help! I’m being chased by EmberClaw!”

Maddog
    Maddog

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:25 pm

Chapter 9
    “What!?!?!” I exclaimed.

“He’s right behind me!” CottonPaw said while running behind me to cower in fear.

I faced the direction CottonPaw came from and growled defensively, hair raising down my spine threateningly.

The bushes rustled and out came FlamePelt snarling, “Get back here you cowered!” His fur standing on end.

When he saw me, his eyes widened and his fur fell flat against his back, he then said, “Hello StarScent, why are you protecting this DeathStrike follower?”

Seeing that it was only FlamePelt, I calmed down and said, “CottonPaw, this is FlamePelt. FlamePelt, this is CottonPaw, my sister who does not follow DeathStrike.”

CottonPaw, still shaking with fear, stepped out from behind me, “He looks like EmberClaw,” She remarked.

“That traitor? I’d never help DeathStrike like that grass-grazer!” FlamePelt said defensively.

That’s when I noticed that SkunkTail hadn’t said anything. I turned to look at him and found that he was starring hard at FlamePelt, “SkunkTail, are you okay?”

SkunkTail starred at the red-furred wolf for a little longer, gave his head a little shake, as if to get rid of a bad thought, then turned to look at me, “Yeah StarScent, I’m fine.”

Giving FlamePelt a suspicious glance, CottonPaw stood straight and said, “If we’re going to move, we should go now.”

Giving his head one more shake, SkunkTail asked, “Where are we going?”

“To the Abandoned Cave,” I responded, pointing in the general direction of it with a flick of my ear.

“Great idea!” FlamePelt yipped.

“Yeah,” SkunkTail said in a small voice, “We should get going.”

We started at a quick trot, keeping pace, but eventually we slowed to a fast walk.

When CottonPaw and I got ahead of the boys, she whispered in my ear, “Are you sure that he’s not EmberClaw? He even has the scar.”

I couldn’t resist glancing nervously back at my red-furred friend.

“And he does look a little like SkunkTail,” She continued, “They both have that skinny snout.”

“I’m sure it’s not EmberClaw,” I denied.

“Why’d you say that so defensively?” CottonPaw accused teasingly, “Are you chasing his tail?”

“Maybe.” I said quickly, looking away.

“Oh, that’s just gonna break SkunkTail’s heart!” My sister sighed.

“Why do you say that?”

“Well, any wolf with eyes can obviously see that he’s chasing you tail.” CottonPaw told me.

“No he’s not!” I said, embarrassed.

“Okay,” The white wolf sang, “Believe what you want!” She then walked past me.

Then I slowed down my pace to let SkunkTail catch up to me.

“My sister is stupid.” I said to him.

“Why?”

“She says that you’re chasing my tail,” I giggled, “Isn’t that just silly?”

SkunkTail looked me straight in the eyes. Was that longing that I saw in his? I must have imagined it because it was gone as fast as if came.

“Isn’t that silly?” I asked again, a little more nervously then before.

“Yeah that’s so stupid,” He said in a not-so-convincing tone.

“Good. Because that would just be ridiculous.” I giggled awkwardly.

“Yeah…” SkunkTail mumbled.

As the sun started to set and the moon started to rise, we were approaching the hill where the cave dug in. We soon found ourselves shivering against the smooth rock walls of the shelter, hiding from the wind.

“Who’s hungry?” FlamePelt was the first to speak in awhile.

“I am,” CottonPaw and I said at the same time.

“Well good! I know how to fish! My pack used to live near a river,” FlamePelt informed us.

SkunkTail murmured, “Don’t fall in,” then padded to the back of the small cave and curled up on the ground, against the wall.

I felt bad for my dark-furred friend, he had been having the worst Season of Sun ever.

Forgetting my discouraged friend, I turned to look at FlamePelt as he walked to the pond next to the cave and sat at the edge, hunched over. After a few moments, FlamePelt plunged his snout into the cold water and came out with a plump fish in his mouth.

He ran up to the cave and dropped the fish at my paws, “You take it.”

“Okay! Thanks!” I accepted the gift almost to quickly.

“No problem,” FlamePelt responded, then went back out to the pond to get another fish.

Soon everyone had full stomachs and CottonPaw was getting ready to leave.

“CottonPaw, the wind is going crazy out there and it’s a long way back to camp, you should wait till morning!” I pleaded once again.

“Give up! I’ve got to get back by morning or the Pack will get worried!” CottonPaw reasoned, stepping into the relentless wind.

“Fine…” I said grudgingly and let her leave, “Bye sis.”

“Bye,” She said and walked off.

I turned around just in time to see FlamePelt whisper, “Good night,” into SkunkTail’s sleeping ear, then curl up on the other side of the cave.

“Why would he be saying good night to SkunkTail?” I thought.

Forgetting the strange scene, I padded silently to the now sleeping FlamePelt and curled up next to him.

The last thing I saw before sleep came over me was SkunkTail all alone on the other side of the cave.
    Maddog
    Maddog

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:25 pm

Chapter 10
    I woke the next morning with SkunkTail starring at me, and that’s when it hit me. SkunkTail was alone last night.

Guilt spreading through me. I blinked the last of sleep out of my eyes and mumbled, “Good morning.”

“Mmhmm… I’m sure it is.” My friend said flatly and walked back to his corner of the cave to continue his sulking.

I awkwardly stood up and went out to the pond to look for food. Not even going to attempt at fishing, I sniffed the air, catching the scent of a goose. I turned my head and found it swimming near the shore of the pond not to far away.

I went down to a crouch and stalked towards it, I soon leaped, landing in the cold water, missing the goose by inches.

Snarling, I padded out of the pond and shook the water out of my fur. Upset by my failure, I padded to a near by blueberry bush and chewed on some berries in the shade of the leaves.

Soon FlamePelt came out of the cave, looking side-to-side and sniffing the air. He then stalked sneakily into the trees heading toward the river.

Curious, I followed him without the red-furred wolf knowing it. Before long, I smelt loners.

I stopped when the trees ran out and the river split through the forest. The only way across that I could see was a fallen tree, the trunk slippery and smooth from years of rushing water running over it.

As I watched FlamePelt leap onto the tree, I saw the sun glint off of a long, slim, white strip on his back left leg, where no fur grew. I felt my heart break when I realized where he was going.

When the red-furred wolf disappeared into the trees on the other side of the river, I came out and leaped onto the tree-bridge, aware of the strong water rushing below my very paws.

Halfway across, the log was got thin. That’s when I made the mistake of looking down. Scared, I started to walk faster, but my paw slipped and I lost my balance, falling into the rapids.

I struggled to get to shore, but the water was to strong. When I knew it was no use, I put all my energy into keeping my head above the water. Eventually, I ran out of energy, and water started lapping over my head, flowing into my nose and eyes. I launched back to the surface of the water gasping for air, just in time to see the Falls.

“Help!” I screamed, “Somebody help me!”

I was approaching the waterfall, running purely on adrenaline, I kicked violently for shore, but before long, I felt everything fall from under me, and I was falling into the turbulent water below.

I hit the water, and felt myself getting pulled down. The cold water flowed into my eyes, mouth, and nose. I could feel the air slipping out of my lungs as the dark water swallowed me. Soon, everything went black.
    Maddog
    Maddog

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:27 pm

Chapter 11
    “StarScent! StarScent! Wake up! StarScent!” I heard voices.

“Just go away!” I yelled in my head, trying to enjoy the relaxing feeling of floating in the air.

“Don’t leave us StarScent!” The voices continued.

“Leave me be!” I thought stubbornly and continued to float until a light appeared, curious, I started towards it.

“She’s slipping!” This time the voices were faint.

“STARSCENT! Please wake up! What about CottonPaw?” The voice was hard to hear.

As I approached the light I saw a golden wolf’s outline, “SunBeam!” I mentally shouted and sped up my pace.

“What about me?” The voice was almost inaudible, but enough to snap me back into reality.

I was suddenly aware that I was on solid ground and that SkunkTail’s voice was shouting, “StarScent! Don’t die! No!”

“She’s coming back,” I heard EmberClaw’s voice.

“Oh, thank goodness…,” SkunkTail sighed and I felt him press his nose into my soaking fur.

I finally used what energy I had to open my eyes and slip out a weak, “Hi there,” Then coughed out mouthfuls of water.

SkunkTail lifted his head and chuckled, “Hi there? You were almost dead!”

When all the water was out of me, I managed a week smile and closed my eyes, “I’m gonna sleep now, okay?”

“No not okay,” EmberClaw chimed in, “If you sleep now your probably going to die.

“FlamePelt’s right, we need to get you back to the cave,” SkunkTail agreed and grabbed the scruff of my neck, “A little help?”

“Oh, yeah,” EmberClaw said and helped SkunkTail carry me to the cave.

When we got there, they gently placed me on the floor.

“What happened?” I asked, lifting my head, “I remember slipping, then seeing the Falls, but after that I think I blacked out.”

“You fell down.” EmberClaw reminded me.

I suddenly remembered the sensation of hitting the water and getting pulled down, “That’s when I blacked out, so what happened after that?”

Out of breath, I let my head rest on the floor as they explained.

“Luckily I was out hunting when I heard you scream for help, I arrived just in time to see you fall, when I saw you go under I jumped over the side of the cliff to save you,” EmberClaw told me.

“By that time, I was wondering what was taking you so long and I tracked your scent to the river, when I realized that it stopped there, I got worried and ran down the side of the Falls and found FlamePelt dragging you out of the water, so I rushed to help.”

“So FlamePelt saved me?” I wondered weakly.

“Yeah,” EmberClaw confirmed, “I did.”

“Can I sleep now?” I asked again.

“NO!” They both shouted right away.

I sighed and resisted the urge to drift off into sleep as they both curled up next to me, trying to keep me warm.

“I’m gonna go get her something to eat,” EmberClaw announced and padded towards the pond, leaving SkunkTail and I alone.

“I thought I was gonna lose you,” SkunkTail murmured.

“I saw SunBeam,” I told him.

“How was she?” He asked.

“She looked happy.” I said, slightly sad that I couldn’t be happy with her.

“That’s a good thing, right?” SkunkTail wondered.

I thought for a moment and smiled, “Yeah,” I mumbled and closed my eyes to sleep.

“STARSCENT!” SkunkTail yelled, making me jump back awake.

“What?” I demanded.

“Don’t go to sleep! You’ll die!” SkunkTail reminded me.

“Oh yeah…” I giggled and yawned weakly.

That’s when EmberClaw came back with three fish. He scooted one close to me and I took a bite. Chewing slowly, until I finally swallowed and said stubbornly, “I don’t want to eat.”

“After you eat, you can go to sleep,” EmberClaw tried to convince me to eat the fish.

“Fine…” I mumbled and started to eat the fish slowly. When I finished I asked, edgily, “Now can I sleep?”

“Yeah StarScent, go back to sleep,” SkunkTail approved.

“Finally…” I said, already drifting into a dreamless sleep
    Maddog
    Maddog

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:28 pm

Chapter 12
    I woke up feeling much better than before. I stood up shakily and yawned.

“She’s alive!” EmberClaw laughed.

“Why do you say that?” I asked, unable to look him in the eye.

“You’ve been sleeping all day,” SkunkTail explained, “Nothing could wake you up FlamePelt caught a duck that just wouldn’t stop honking, and when we looked your way you were sound asleep.”

“Oh, well I feel a lot better,” I said, “Thanks for saving me guys.”

“Anytime, you hungry?” EmberClaw asked.

“Yeah,” I responded.

“I caught an extra fish, its over in the corner,” EmberClaw said, motioning towards it with his paw.

“Thanks, but I’m kind of in the mood for chicken,” I lied.

“Um… okay? I’ll go get some chicken, but it’s a long way to the farm. It’s a days trip there and back.” He said, confused.

“That’s fine with me,” I told him.

“Okay, I’ll be back at sundown,” he then left.

“Why’d you do that? You’re not a picky eater,” SkunkTail asked.

“FlamePelt is EmberClaw!” I exclaimed when EmberClaw was out of hearing range.

“Wait…,” SkunkTail stepped back, confused, “EmberClaw?”

“Yes!” I shouted, “CottonPaw was right!”

“But-but… How do you know?” He asked, a little panicked.

“The reason I was crossing the river was because I was following him,” I explained.

“But that doesn’t prove that that’s him!” SkunkTail denied.

“The loner’s camp is just across the river!” I reminded him.

He was quiet for awhile after that, thinking.

“OH MY GOODNESS! FLAMEPELT IS EMBERCLAW!!!” He burst out without warning, making me jump.

“No way! Really?”

“Watch the sarcasm, we’re talking about my brother!” SkunkTail said, “What are we going to do?”

I got up and started pacing back and forth, “Nothing right now. My question is, ‘Why is he here?’”

“To spy on us?” SkunkTail suggested.

“Yeah, but why?”

“Because I’m amazingly cool?” My friend joked, turning back into his old self.

I bumped his shoulder playfully, then said, “It can’t have anything to do with you.”

“Why not?”

A lump formed in my throat, swallowing it I said, “Because he was trying to make me fall in love with him.”

SkunkTail’s eyes darkened, “Did he succeed?”

I slowly shut my eyes and nodded my head, “Yeah,” The pain in that single word stabbed at me.

“Aw, honey, you must be heart-broken!” SkunkTail attempted to mimic my mother’s voice.

I opened my eyes, smiled, and ran over to my friends side, stuffing my snout in his fur, glad for his company, “But aren’t you?”

“Not anymore.”
    Maddog
    Maddog

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:30 pm

Chapter 13
    The next morning I stood from SkunkTail’s side and yawned, “Good morning!” as I stretched.

Blinking sleep from his eyes, SkunkTail stood, his fur brushing against mine, “Good morning.”

EmberClaw was already awake, watching us together, a look of confusion on his face,

I side-stepped away from SkunkTail awkwardly and walked over to EmberClaw.

“Thanks for that chicken yesterday, I know you went through a lot of trouble to get it.” I said, rubbing against him appreciatively, but, truthfully, hatred spiked in every strand of fur I had.

His confusion faded into a smooth smile, “It was no problem.”

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

The sun rose to the center of the sky as I peered over the pond’s edge. I crouched in silence as many little fish darted around below. I waited. Finally, a large fish came from deeper in the pond in search of food. When the little ones saw it, they fled in all directions, leaving the large one alone.

Taking this opportunity, I dove my snout into the pond just as someone called, “STARSCENT!”

Losing concentration, I slipped head first into the chilly water. The liquid seeped into my nose. Remembering the felling of drowning, I started to scream, “HELP! HELP!” And thrash violently in the shallow water.

Someone’s jaws clamped on the scruff of my neck and I was being dragged out of the pond.

I coughed a few times as my rescuer asked, “Are you okay?”

I stood up shakily and looked over my shoulder at the calm surface of the pond. A shudder went through my body, but I murmered that I was okay anyways.

Looking in the direction of my savior, I saw that it was SkunkTail and I ran to him for comfort, soaking the fur on his shoulder with tears as I whimpered.

He rested his chin on my head comfortingly an murmured, “It’s okay. You’re safe-”

I pulled my head away and shouted at him, “NO! I’M NOT SAFE! Not as long as DeathStrike’s alive! HE’S OUT TO GET ME! I KNOW IT!” Then fled into the cave.

Water rushed noisily below, hardly licking the pads of my paws. I took a step in mid-air mostly focusing on the other bank of the river.

“StarScent! Wake up!”

My concentration shattered along with my invisible path, and I fell into the black water.

I woke up wit ha scream, only for someone to shush me.

It took me a few seconds to process what was happening.

EmberClaw’s face was in mine making a shushing sound, then he looked in the direction of where SkunkTail was still asleep and gave a sigh of relief.

“What do you want?” I yawned irritably.

“Shhh…” EmberClaw whispered, sending an anxious glance back at his brother, “Come walk with me.”

He then walked out of the cave entrance where a dim light filtered through. I followed, suspicion sting at my mind.

We walked into the moonlit night, the full moon like a giant white berry against the black sky. Stars speckled the peaceful night as the wind was nowhere to be felt.

“I love you,” started EmberClaw as he turned to look at me.

The statement startled me and made my heart skip a beat.

“No!,” I thought to myself, “He’s lying!”

“StarScent?” EmberClaw sounded, “Say something. Do you feel the same?”

“Umm… Yeah, sure.” I lied.

EmberClaw faked a sigh of relief, “SkunkTail hates me…”

“Really?” I asked with false honesty.

“Yeah, really,” EmberClaw replied, “If you love meThat felt like kick in the gut, “What do you suggest?”

“We run away together!” He burst out, “Just you and me, possibly some pups?”

“This was to far.” I thought growling, “Cut the dung, EmberClaw! I know its you!”

“What do you mean?” EmberClaw said cluelessly.

“You’re not FlamePelt! You’re EmberClaw!” I exclaimed angrily.

The red wolf put on a snake’s smile, “You know, it’s a shame you had to find out like this. You would’ve been a great addition to DeathStrike’s Pack. Your gift of smell would’ve been great, but I doubt you’re willing to join us now… Soooo… Attack!”, then he’ll hate you.”

Loners leaped out of the bushes surrounding the pond and the clearing.

“It was a trap!” My mind exclaimed.

As they came out I screamed for SkunkTail, resulting in him charging out of the cave in confusion.

None of the loners paid attention to him until he let out the howl.

Last edited by Maddog on February 6th 2011, 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Maddog
    Maddog

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:32 pm

Chapter 14
    The Howl of Battle, when SkunkTail sounded it, the first of the Loners came charging, a small white one was the first to reach me.

SkunkTail reached me in time to block off the gray wolf that was charging at me from behind. I took down the white one with a strong bite to the scruff of his neck.

“Why couldn’t I smell them?” I asked myself.

I found the answer as I watched the white wolf run into the trees, tail between his legs. There was mud covering his coat, masking his sent.

“Yeah! You better run!” SkunkTail barked after the gray wolf as he fled.

We fought back-to-back, fending off what we could for what felt like hours.

I heard a yelp of pain and felt SkunkTail drop to the ground.

“SkunkTail!” I exclaimed, turning to look at him. Blood oozed out of a deep cut in his back left haunch.

EmberClaw was standing over him, gloating, “You thought that you could defeat DeathStrike and his loners? You and your wimpy girlfriend? You cou-”

He was cut off by a chorus of howls, all of Battle. EmberClaw looked over his shoulder only to find the whole of my Pack charging to overflow the Loners, with CottonPaw in the lead, her mouth full of herbs.

SnowFur tackled EmberClaw, knocking him off of SkunkTail.

The war had started and battle raged around us. I almost screamed when CottonPaw said, “Help me carry him out of the clearing.”

I nodded and dragged SkunkTail into the trees as CottonPaw laid down her herbs.

“Okay, first we should clean the wound,” my sister said.

“Wait, how did the Pack know to come?” I asked.

“We heard The Howl of Battle,” She exclaimed, “Now go get some water!”

I grabbed some moss balls and dashed back into the battle towards the pond.

Running through the crowd, I saw PineClaw bite down hard on a silver wolf’s tail as he tried to run. I saw SnowFur dragging EmberClaw’s limp, blood-stained body toward the trees, assisted by SilverEar and my mother.

I could now see the pond through the mess of teeth, claws, and fur. I started to speed up when something knocked me down.

“Ugh…” I moaned, eyes closed.

“You could’ve been a great ally,” His breath was warm against my face.

I opened my eyes to find DeathStrike looking down at me.

“You could still live,” he continued, “Join me. I could train you to use your gift in ways you would’ve never thought possible.”

Surprise must have shown on my face, because the murderer laughed coldly and said, “You didn’t know? I have the same gift as you. I understand how you feel. Alone, neglected, hated? Join me and you will never feel this way again. So, what do you say?”

Temptation tugged at my mind, “No! Never! But he’ll help- No!”

“I’ll never join you,” I snarled.

“Then die.” DeathStrike growled, bending over to sink his teeth into my throat.

I didn’t flinch, I just starred the murderer straight in the eyes defiantly.

I felt his sharp teeth piercing my skin when a flash of black fur knocked him to the ground.

I stood up quickly to find SkunkTail snarling into DeathStrike’s terror filled face, “Don’t touch her. You’ll have to kill me first.” He then slit the scared wolf’s throat with his claw.

He then limped over to me, “Are you okay?”

“Just fine.” I said and licked his snout
    Maddog
    Maddog

Post  Maddog February 6th 2011, 6:38 pm

Chapter 15 “BlackEar, or DeathStrike, as you all know him by, was born in my generation. He was born with a gift, a gift for smell, much like our very own StarScent’s,” PineClaw started when we were back at camp, “Because of this gift, BlackEar was teased by the other pups including his siblings. As result, he murdered his two siblings, causing him to banished before he could even hunt alone.

“Some say that BlackEar ate already dead animals while others say he stole from the farm, but either way, he wanted, and started to devise a plan. This plan was great, but failed, was foiled by two young adults that never gave up, even when DeathStrike’s teeth were at their throat. They stayed loyal to the Pack even when banished. The Pack welcomes back StarScent and SkunkTail!”

SkunkTail and I padded up to the front of the Pack as they cheered.

SkunkTail started first, “I hardly did anything, most of it was StarScent. The only thing I did is kill a single wolf, so you should really look to StarScent if you want the hero.”

I cut in there, “Not true, SkunkTail. I probably would’ve went crazy if you weren’t there keeping me sane. I faced strong winds, almost drowning, and heart-break,” I eyed EmberClaw in the back who gave me a smirk before his guard, SnowFur, snarled at him.

“And SkunkTail stuck with me through it all. SkunkTail, you didn’t just kill a wolf, you killed The Wolf, just to save me. SkunkTail, I love you!”

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content