Pens and Quills Writing Society

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Awakener(s) Intro and first chapter

many_names_is_me
    many_names_is_me

Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2009-02-17

The Awakener(s) Intro and first chapter Empty The Awakener(s) Intro and first chapter

Post  many_names_is_me October 15th 2011, 5:53 pm

Well, this is a story of mine I started recently. I read the first bit at the meeting on Oct. 14, but here it is for the people that weren't there!

INTRO
    I stared across the room at the new boy. He was staring up at the board like any kid who needed to catch up would, but there was something different about him. I just couldn't place what it was.
    He turned in my direction and I looked down at my paper, pretending to draw a doodle. I turned my head back to the board as if I might actually pay attention. Out of my periphials I saw him follow my gaze, resting on the board.
    I took a quick look around the room, everybody was silent, which was odd for a last period math class. Not even the two school gossips in the back were whispering to each other. Another unsettling thing I noticed was that every pair of eyes, except for mine, were fixed on the board.
    Normally everyone was just edging to get out of class, with roving eyes and bouncing legs. There was an unnatural stillness about the room, even Mrs. BlayBar didn't move from her place next to the overhead.
    My eyes flicked up to the clock; only three more minutes left. Thank goodness. I decided to take the last few moments to examine the new guy again.
    He had dark brown eyes, a tan that said he played some kind of spor, dark brown hair that was just long enough to flip but didn't get in his way. His tight white shirt hugged his chest nicely, showing off his pecs and biceps and I would bet money on the fact that he had a nice set of abs too.
    Overall, he was a very good looking guy and I could tell that he was going to be swarmed by girls tomorrow. Some might even fight to sit next to him during lunch.
    I was briefly considering relieving him of the trouble when the bell rang and broke everyone's trance.
    Everybody shot up as if they hadn't just sat silently for the last hour and gathered their books, heading for the door. Even the gossips, Jan and Taylor, were whispering hurridly to one another.
    I stayed in my chair, letting them all clear out, watching the new kid carefully putting his binder into his backpack. I closed my own binder on my empty page and slipped my pen into my pocket as I stood up.
    I turned towards the door and promptly was bumped into a desk.
    "I'm sorry."
    I turned to face the smooth voice of the new guy. It was obviously not an accident.
    I took a moment to give him a blank stare before turning back to the door. He touched my arm and held out his hand.
    "Hi, I'm Timothy."
    I cracked a half-smile, surprised at his outgoingness. "JaNelle, nice to meet you."
    I gripped his hand in a proper shake and tried to pull away, but he held my hand tight. He stared into my eyes with a small smile on his lips.
    "Pleasure to meet you." He brought my hand to his lips and he lightly kissed my knuckles.
    Unsure of where to go from there, I shrugged and lamely answered. "Me too."
    "So I guess I'll see you around?"
    I nodded and he gave me one last smile before exiting into the noisy hallway.
    I sighed to myself, at a total loss for words for the first time in my life.

Chapter 1
    Timithy and I had been staring at each other for the last 30 minutes. I absolutely refused to look away first, and obviously, so did he.
    'I'm going to win!' I mouthed. He just shook his head in response.
    "JaNelle?" Mrs. BlayBar asked.
    "Yes Ma'am?" I replied, continuing my stare with Timothy.
    "Would you like to answer number seven?"
    "Thirteen."
    She huffed, irritated. "You didn't even look."
    "Obviously neither did you, since the answer really is thirteen."
    The room was silent as I imagined Mrs. BlayBar checking her work on the board.
    "You are correct, congratulations."
    She continued droning onto the rest of the class about inequalities and I continued to stare at Timothy, thinking about the last three weks since he had shown up.
    We spent most mornings togethers and then wouldn't say a word to each other until classes were over. We would stay a littl ebit behind to stand and talk in Mrs. BlayBar's room. Then he would walk towards his bus and I would walk towards my car.
    He was a pretty cool guy and all of my suspicions about ga-ga eyed girls were true. He had an unfortunate amount of girls falling all over him. But from what I saw he paid it no mind.
    Actually, I seemed to be the only girl he talked to unless he HAD to talk to someone else. Strange, I know, but but that's just the way it was, and surprisingly, I was ok with it.

The next day at lunch, I was sitting at the usual table me and my group of friends sit at, watching their purses and such as they stood in the lunch line when Timothy plopped down in the seat beside me.
    "Oh! Hi there." I said surprised, turning in my seat to face him.
    "Hello JaNelle" He grabbed my hand and kissed it. "And how are you doing today my lady?"
    I smiled at the old time gesture. "I'm doing just fine sir."
    "As am I." He looked at the purses on the table and all the empty seats around me. "Oh my, I didn't think you would be the kind of girl to spread all her stuff out to make it look like she had friends, and yet, here you are."
    I scowled at him. "I'm watching their stuff while they are in line."
    "You didn't go with them?"
    I shook my head. "I'm not too big on being herded in a line like cattle."
    He chuckled. "Join the club, It's gonna be a revolution." He stared at me for a moment as I giggled at his remark. "You wanna come sit with me?"
    I looked back to the table of purses and binders. "I thought you'd never ask."
    I grabbed my binder and followed him to the back corner of the cafeteria. We sat at a 2 person table that was pushed against the wall.
    "So, what goes on in the life of Timothy?" I asked, leaning on my elbows.
    "Life of a wanted movie star. you know, the typical stuff. Everyone trying to get a picture with me and the like. But what about you?"
    "Nothing really. Did you happen to get those notes from last class?"
    He laughed. "Of course not. Do I ever get notes?"
    I shrugged. "I don't know your life."
    "Well, to answer you, no I don't."
    "And you've managed to pass all this time?" He nodded. "How?" I continued. "It just defies logic."
    "I'm not gonna lie, especially to you. I already know all this stuff. I simply don't need notes."
    "Don't need as in?" I leaned towards him, waiting for a response.
    "Let's put it like this; asking me to take notes on math would be like asking Abraham Lincoln to take notes on the Gettysburg Address. Pointless. I've been there, done that."
    "You're telling me that you were there when Aristotle and Socrates and all them invented arithmatic?"
    He laughed. "Of course not. I've taken the class 37 times. It kind of sticks with you after a while."
    I gaped at him. "37 times? How is that possible? Algebra 2, 37 times?"
    He smiled as the bell rang. "I'll see ya in math JaNelle."
    I glared at him as he put on his backpack and joined the crowd pushing their way out of the cafeteria.

I made my way to math that afternoon with on purpose in mind; to find out what he was talking about.
    I got to class early and waited for him. Only, he never showed up.
    I sat through math wondering where he could have gone. He didn't seem sick or anything at lunch, and he wasn't really the kind of guy to skip class. Truthfully, it worried me.
    "Oh my gosh," Jan breahted in a rush as she sat next to me the next morning. "You will never guess what is going around the school about your boyfriend."
    "My boyfriend?" I asked, shutting my book.
    "Oh yeah." Taylor popped down on my other side. "Everyone knows, it's already around school."
    "So anyways, what I was saying; your boyfriend-"
    "Who?" I looked back and forth between them. "I don't have a boyfriend."
    "That's not what Angie was saying." Taylor said.
    "Who am I supposedly dating?"
    "That hunk Timothy." Jan sighed.
    "I'm definitly not dating Timothy. I would tell ya'll first if I was."
    "Alright then, I'll go set Angie stright." Taylor stood up and twittered her way over to Angie's table.
    I smiled to myself. That was a good thing about these two gossips. If they found out something was wrong, they made it their business to go directly to the source and set them straight.
    "So tell me about Timothy." I asked, anxious to know what was being said.
    "Well," She put her leg up on her chair and turned to face me. "Yesterday in English, Vicky was trying to flirt with him, I say trying because he doesn't ever reciprocate, he just nicely takwhich doesn't really count. Anyways she kept pushing her luck until she was practically on top of him. She touched his arm and he told her to stop. But you know Vicky, she never listens. So she went on and grabbed his chest trying to see if he had pecs, and guess what he did?" She paused waiting for me to cue her on.
    "What?" I had barely gotten the word out of my mouth when she was rambling on again.
    "He grabbed her arm and shoved her back against a desk, and everyone was all like 'OMG! What happened?' Cuz she fell on the floor and was just staring up at him. He got up and bolted out the door."
    "What does that have to do with anything?"
    "Wait, I'm not finished." She cleared her throat and continued. "So last night she starts going grazy, like vomiting everywhere and tearing things apart. Her parents took her to the hospital. Turns out she has sever Scitzophrenea. But that can't really be possible because shes never showed any signs of mental illness before, except for that time she dated Arthur, ugh, gross." She made a face and continued on. "Word is that your boyfriend-" I shot hera glare and she rolled her eyes. "My bad! Timothy is responsable. Nodody's heard from him since he bolted, crazy innit?"
    I stared at her. "You really think that Timothy grabbing and pushing Vicky made her crazy? That's just a load of rubbish."
    "Well whatever it was she was fine before then. Plus, he looked like he had done something."
    "So how about that?" Taylor asked, returning from her little talk with Angie.
    "She doesn't think that they are connected."
    "I'm just saying that it's kind of a longshot."
    "Doesn't matter, I got bigger news."
    And just like that I was sucked into a gossip tornado full of interesting tales and stories.

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 5:32 am