Pens and Quills Writing Society

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

They're More Like Guidelines, Really...

President
    President
    The President
    The President

Number of posts : 61
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

They're More Like Guidelines, Really... Empty They're More Like Guidelines, Really...

Post  President April 15th 2011, 10:53 pm

Want to join the inter-dimensional role-playing story? [Hint: It promises to be wildly exciting! Smile] Here are the basic rules we'll be operating by...

1) 1st person past-tense. Narrate from your character's POV. Ex. I turned around suddenly to see a shadow disappear. Why hadn't I heard anything?

2) Make sure you keep up with where the story is at the moment. The setting will probably change pretty frequently; we want to make sure we all stay on the same page

3) DON'T try to narrate what someone else's character is doing! Or make things up about them/describe them. Please leave that to the other writers, unless you've specifically asked them and gotten permission or something.
    >>>Note: Yes, this means when our characters interact, we'll need to work on this collaboratively in order for anything to happen. That's what makes it an RPG! We can do that online at these meetings, posting back and forth, use the chat feature in pairs or as a group, etc.
    Ex. none of this: I was walking with Elle (someone else's character) when she started screaming at me. Startled, I tried to calm her down but... Get the idea? Elle's writer may not be very happy about the outburst you just gave her. :/

4) You can have more than 1 character, especially if you plan to participate pretty often. These might include multiple travellers or people they meet from the other dimensions. Just keep up with who's who Wink

5) Multiple people can narrate one event. If we just went through a porthole and someone else already wrote the scene from their character's POV, you can add a piece about how your character experienced it as long as you don't totally change the sequence of events

6) If you want to include a flashback/dream sequence/vision of the future or something like that, please label it clearly in your post title. That way no one gets too confused with what's going on

...Okay that's what I can come up with for now! Add your suggestions/concerns/questions!
    Alicia Carman
    Alicia Carman

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2009-10-06

They're More Like Guidelines, Really... Empty Re: They're More Like Guidelines, Really...

Post  Alicia Carman April 15th 2011, 11:10 pm

Oh! Here's something else that's important...

7) The "Jumping In" clause: If you're new to the story, it depends on where we are as to how you can join in. If we haven't left Earth yet (lol), feel free to make another Traveller. If we have, you can
    A) be someone they meet from another place, and we'll all work to incorporate you in as a new traveller
    B) assume lots of different identities, playing multiple roles as all the different personalities we run into in the various worlds
    C) Be someone back on Earth, perhaps covering the story back there while we're gone if that makes sense.
    Whatever works best with the plot and your writing style!

Current date/time is May 15th 2024, 8:12 am